Electronic Duties Return

speech bubble design element

New South Wales Electronic Duties Return

Revenue NSW office no longer accepts documents for processing at their customer service counter or through the post if the transaction type can be processed online by accessing Electronic Duties Returns (EDR) via a Client Service Provider (CSP). If Revenue NSW receives these documents, they will be returned un-assessed.

For a full list of documents that can be processed through EDR refer to the Duties Document Matrix.

What does this mean for you?

You will need to register for EDR, if you have not done so already.

What are the steps you need to take to become an EDR Client?

1. Engage with an approved Client Service Provider As an approved Client Service Provider, Dye & Durham offers all of the services via our platform Search Manager 2022.
2. Register as an EDR client To register as an EDR Client and obtain an EDR Client number, please visit the Registration page. You will need the following information on hand to complete the registration process:
  • Your Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • A valid email address
3. Familiarise yourself with the guidelines Download and familiarise yourself with EDR Guidelines for details on how to use EDR and the functions available.
4. Complete application Once your application is complete, you will be contacted by Revenue NSW to progress your application. Upon approval of your application, system and procedural training will be arranged with you. Once you have your EDR Client number, please inform us and we will attach it to your Search Manager account to enable access to online stamping services.

If you want to find out more about how Dye & Durham can help you with your EDR requirements, contact us by submitting the form at the bottom of this page.

Dye & Durham over the counter (OTC) stamping service

Dye & Durham Property provides an over the counter stamping service open from 8:30am – 4:15pm daily, at our Sydney CBD Settlement Room located conveniently on Level 4, 24-28 Campbell Street, Haymarket NSW. Documents are stamped on the spot by our experienced staff, and issues that prevent stamping can be explained in detail.

If you require stamping for Transfers of Freehold or Leasehold interests in Real Property, please ensure you have completed and bring the items listed in this checklist.

Additional purchaser/transferee information (where applicable) will be required when completing a duties assessment, you will need to complete a purchasers declaration for either an individual or non-individual document prior to arriving at the counter. This information will be required for all agreements for the sale of land and transfers of real property.

Electronic stamping

Since the introduction of electronic conveyancing in New South Wales and the availability for certain documents types to be lodged using an ELNO, there has been some uncertainty on the process involved, what information is required by the conveyancer or legal practitioner and how Customer Service Providers, such as Dye & Durham can assist.

To help you better understand, we have created a list of frequently asked questions.

NSW Land Tax Clearance certificate

Where a transfer of land is to occur under contract, a vendor will now be required to apply for a Land Tax Clearance Certificate as per the requirements of the Conveyancing (Sale of Land) Regulation 2017. Land Tax Clearance certificates (Section 47) can also be ordered through Search Manager 2022, located in the NSW Land Titles & Property Certificates menu, in the Land Title Search & Essential Certificates quadrant.

You will need a clearance certificate when purchasing or selling a property or offering finance in NSW. If you are selling a property you will need to apply for a certificate using the ‘VENDOR’ enquiry type.

Surcharge purchaser duty

In 2016, Revenue NSW introduced Surcharge purchaser duty which is incurred by a foreign person who is acquiring residential property in NSW. The surcharge is in addition to the duty payable on the purchase of residential property.

If you or your client is a foreign purchaser acquiring land in NSW, you will be required to pay an additional 8% of the dutiable value of the interest in the residential property. The surcharge purchaser duty can be processed via EDR and Revenue NSW have published information here.

For more information about how we can help you, call our Helpdesk on 1300 730 000 or complete the form below and one of our experienced and friendly staff members will contact you.

Book a Demonstration